The canton of Bern is bilingual and located in the North-West of Switzerland between the French- and German-speaking parts. The city of Bern is Switzerland's capital.
The cantons origin is the ancient city and republic of Bern (Respublica Bernensis), which was a city state of the Northern Bernese Alps and arised from the city of Bern in 1191.
Being a member of the Swiss confederation since 1353, the canton is the third most populated canton of Switzerland. Its population is mainly protestant and German-speaking, about 8% of the population is French-speaking.